- About RTS
- Faculty & Staff
- Upcoming Classes
- News / Media
Dr. James Coffield
Associate Professor of Counseling
» Counseling | Faculty | Orlando
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, B.A., M.A., Ph.D.
Dr. Jim Coffield joined RTS-Orlando full time in 2003 and serves as Associate Professor of Counseling and the Clinical Director of the M.A. in Counseling degree program. Dr. Coffield teaches core counseling courses related to the theory and practice of counseling, group psychotherapy, developmental psychology, psychological testing and evaluation, pastoral counseling and the integration of psychology and theology. As Clinical Director, Dr. Coffield oversees counseling students' practicum and internship experience at the Oviedo Counseling Clinic, a community mental health facility staffed by RTS counseling students and located on the seminary campus.
Dr. Coffield is a licensed psychologist and received a Ph.D. in counseling psychology from the University of Tennessee. His research and clinical interests include adoption, special needs children and narrative psychology. Dr. Coffield is passionate about training counselors and has more than 20 years of classroom experience in graduate and undergraduate settings. His clinical experience includes counseling individuals, couples, adolescents and families in private practice, college, church-based and hospital settings. In addition to his roles at RTS, Dr. Coffield continues to maintain a part-time private counseling practice.
Students appreciate Dr. Coffield's personal interest and encouragement and the way he weaves humor and engaging stories throughout his teaching. Prior to pursuing counseling, Dr. Coffield worked as a youth pastor and basketball coach. He and his wife, Mona, have two sons, Skylar and Pearce, and a daughter, Kim.
- "Going Outside the Camp," in Tabletalk Magazine, Feb 1 (2013).
- "A Community of Broken Homes," in Tabletalk Magazine, Dec 1 (2011).
- "The Perfect Blog...," guest blog for Pooped Pastors, a ministry of Steve Brown, Jan 20 (2010).
- "Why I hate the youth staff...," guest blog for Pooped Pastors, a ministry of Steve Brown, Aug 3 (2009).
- "Teaching a pig to sing...," guest blog for Pooped Pastors, a ministry of Steve Brown, Apr 14 (2009).
- "What is your tiredness telling you...," guest blog for Pooped Pastors, a ministry of Steve Brown, Feb 25 (2009).
- "From Grief to Glory," in Tabletalk Magazine, Apr 1 (2007).