University of Michigan, B.S.E.
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, M.A.
Duke Divinity School, Th.M.
Duke University, Ph.D.
Dr. Johnson presently serves as the National Director of Theological Education for Cru (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ). In this capacity, he oversees the on-the-job theological training of 5000 Cru missionaries in the U.S. and directs Cru's Institute of Biblical Studies. He has been teaching at RTS-Orlando since 2008 as a Guest Lecturer in Systematic Theology. Dr. Johnson's research interests include the doctrine of the Trinity, the contemporary challenge of religious pluralism and the Christian theology of religions, the theological interpretation of Scripture and contextualizing the gospel in cross-cultural contexts. Dr. Johnson grew up in Michigan. He enjoys reading, hiking in the mountains, and watching University of Michigan football (especially when they win). He and his wife Rhonda live in Orlando with their four children: Drew, Lauren, Emily and Nathan.
- Rethinking the Trinity and Religious Pluralism: An Augustinian Assessment, Strategic Initiatives in Evangelical Theology (InterVarsity, 2011)
- “Divine Transcendence, Religious Pluralism and Barth’s Doctrine of God,” International Journal of Systematic Theology 5 (July 2003): 200-224.
- “Does the Doctrine of the Trinity Hold the Key to a Christian Theology of Religions? An Evaluation of Three Recent Proposals,” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 10 (2006): 24-47.
- “Augustine’s ‘Trinitarian’ Reading of John 5: A Model for the Theological Interpretation of Scripture?” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 52 (2009): 799-810.
- “What’s New About ‘Theological Interpretation’? The SBJT Forum, The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 14 (2010): 78-84.
- “Trinitarian Agency and the Eternal Subordination of the Son: An Augustinian Perspective,” Themelios 36 (2011): 7-25.
- “Augustine, Eternal Generation, and Evangelical Trinitarianism” Trinity Journal 32 NS (2011): 141-63.
- “What Would Augustine Say to Evangelicals Who Reject the Eternal Generation of the Son?” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 16 (2012): 26-43.
- “Imitatio Trinitatis: How Should We Imitate the Trinity?” Westminster Theological Journal 75 (2013): 317-34.
- “Penal Substitution as an Undivided Work of the Triune God,” Trinity Journal 36 NS (2015): 51-67
- “Christian Theology of Religions” in Missiology: An Introduction, ed. John Mark Terry (forthcoming Broadman and Holman)