- About RTS
- Faculty & Staff
- Upcoming Classes
- News / Media
CHARITABLE LEAD TRUST
How It Works
You contribute cash, securities or other property to a trust.
The trust makes fixed annual payments to RTS for a specified term of years.
When the trust ends, the remaining principal goes to your heirs.
- You qualify for a gift tax deduction for the present value of the annuity payments to RTS.
- You can adjust the annuity payments and the term of the trust to reduce or even eliminate the transfer taxes due when the principal reverts to your heirs.
- All appreciation that takes place in the trust goes tax-free to your heirs.
- You can use your available estate tax credit ($1.5 million per person in 2004; $2.0 million per person beginning in 2006) to further reduce taxes on transfers to your heirs.
- You can have the satisfaction of making a significant gift to RTS now that reduces the taxes due on transfers to your heirs later.