Michael Anthony Milton (Ph.D., University of Wales, Lampeter), an ordained minister and long-time pastor in the Presbyterian Church in America served as the fourth chancellor and chief executive officer of Reformed Theological Seminary.
Prior to his service as chancellor of RTS, he was the president of RTS/Charlotte since 2007. Dr. Milton previously served as the senior pastor of the historic First Presbyterian Church in Chattanooga, TN. He planted two churches and founded Westminster Academy Christian School in Overland Park, Kansas. He completed his pastoral internship under Dr. D. James Kennedy and later served as the interim president of Knox Theological Seminary.
In addition to his civilian ministry, Dr. Milton holds a commission in the U.S. Army Reserves as a chaplain (Lt. Col.), a ministry that he continues. In 2010, he was nominated by the Chief of Chaplains of the US Army and inducted as a charter member of the College of Military Preachers. Milton is a graduate of Command and General Staff College and in 2010 he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for distinguished service to the US Army.
Dr. Milton and his wife Mae reside in the Charlotte area where he is an avid gardener, reader of history, and aficionado of classic movies from the golden era of film. They have eight adult children.
Dr. Milton is the author of the books:
- Finding a Vision for Your Church: Assembly Required (P&R Publishing, 2012)
- Silent No More: Why the Church Must Speak to the Culture and the State (Tanglewood/EP Books, 2012)
- What God Starts, God Completes: New and Expanded Third Edition(Christian Focus Publications, 2012)
- Songs in the Night: How God Transforms our Pain into Praise (P&R Publishing, 2012)
- Small Things, Big Things: Inspiring Stories of God's Everyday Grace (P&R Publishing, 2009)
- What is the Doctrine of the Perseverance of the Saints (P&R Publishing, 2009)
- Hit by Friendly Fire: What to do when you are hurt by other believers (Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2008)
- What God Starts, God Completes: Help and Hope for Hurting People (Christian Focus Publications, 2007)
- Cooperation without Compromise: Faithful Gospel Witness in a Pluralistic Setting (Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2007)
- Following Ben: Expository Preaching for Frail Followers of Pulpit Giants (Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2006)
- Giving as an Act of Worship (Wipf and Stock Publishers)
- Leaving a Career to Follow a Call: A Vocational Guide to the Ordained Ministry (Wipf and Stock Publishers, 1999)
- Authentic Christianity and the Life of Freedom (Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2005)
- The Demands of Discipleship: Expository Messages from Daniel (Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2005)
Dr. Milton has also written numerous popular and academic articles and published in such periodicals as Preaching Magazine, The Journal of the Evangelical Theology Society, World Magazine, and has been featured in sermons and interviews on national and international radio and television networks. He is a regular contributor to web sites such as Crosswalk.com, Preaching.com, Christianity.com, and Monergism.com.
Often his sermons are illustrated with songs that he writes, sings, and performs with guitar or piano. His recordings include He Shall Restore (2006), Follow Your Call (2008) and Through the Open Door (2011). A single, “Heaven Came Down,” was released at Christmas 2011 and is the title cut of a Christmas album released in October 2012.