- About RTS
- Faculty & Staff
- Upcoming Classes
- News / Media
Dr. Mark D. Futato
Robert L. Maclellan Professor of Old Testament
» Old Testament | Faculty | Orlando
Geneva College, B.A.
Westminster Theological Seminary, M.Div.
The Catholic University of America, M.A., Ph.D.
Dr. Mark Futato joined RTS Orlando in 1999 and serves as the Robert L. Maclellan Professor of Old Testament. He teaches core classes on Hebrew and Old Testament books. Dr. Futato served as Academic Dean of RTS Orlando from 2004 to 2012.
Dr. Futato's research interests include biblical Hebrew, the Book of Psalms and the role that elements of creation such as climate and geography play in scripture. Dr. Futato has published multiple books on the Psalms as well as an introduction to biblical Hebrew. He is currently finishing a commentary on Jonah. Dr. Futato served on the translation team for the Book of Psalms in the New Living Translation, contributed study notes for The ESV Study Bible and The Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible, and contributed to the New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis.
Prior to joining RTS, Dr. Futato served as a pastor for five years and taught for more than 10 years at Westminster Seminary California.
Students appreciate Dr. Futato's passionate emphasis on God's desire to bless all nations, his engaging communication style and his practical application of biblical texts to those who struggle, suffer and doubt. Dr. Futato and his wife, Adele, have four children: William, Evan, Mark Jr. and Annie.
- Dr. Futato on Twitter: @mfutato
- Jonah: A Commentary (Evangelical Press, forthcoming)
- Contributor, New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis (Zondervan, 2012)
- Psalms: Cornerstone Biblical Commentary (Tyndale House Publishers, 2009)
- Contributor, The ESV Study Bible (Crossway Bibles, 2008)
- Interpreting the Psalms: An Exegetical Handbook (Kregel Publishers, 2007)
- Translator, New Living Translation of the Bible (Tyndale House Publishers, 2006)
- Joy Comes in the Morning: Psalms for All Seasons (P&R Publishing, 2004)
- Beginning Biblical Hebrew (Eisenbrauns, 2003)
- Contributor, The NIV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible (Zondervan, 2003)
- Transformed By Praise: The Purpose and Message of the Psalms (P&R Publishing, 2002)
- Creation: A Witness to the Wonder of God (P&R Publishing, 2000)
- "Sense Relations in the "Rain" Domain of the Old Testament," in Lawrence Boadt and Mark Smith, eds., Imagery and Imagination in Biblical Literature. Washington, D.C.: Catholic Biblical Association of America (2001), 81-94.
- "Because It Had Rained: A Study of Gen 2:5-7 with Implications for Gen 2:4-25 and Gen 1:1-2:3," in Westminster Theological Journal 60:1 (1998), 1-21.
- "The Preposition 'Beth' in the Hebrew Psalter," in Westminster Theological Journal 41:1 (1978), 68-83.